This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on them, my family benefits. Thank you for supporting our family.
- let them lead
- seek new places to explore (if you are local or are coming to Indiana, here is our list of favs)
- be ready to rest (sometimes, a lot, right after you've started walking...)
- as soon as they are able, let them carry their own nature bags
- be okay with going slow, with waiting, with being behind
- encourage and be okay with lots of stopping
- know there will be some grumps, especially when going up hills
- know that holes are great diversions and cure the grumps pretty quickly
- any place where critters can be seen and touched, they will want to stay for hours
When hiking with children...
joys, giggles, deep breaths, and memories, learning and exploration, chatting with mamas and loving on friends- all are free, but worth a fortune.
This week our hiking group will be heading out to work on some of the Playful Learning's Backyard Science ecourse.
We love books and videos, but time outside treasure hunting hypothesises and the color wheel of nature...well, it's authentic learning at its best. Whether you school at home or not, these classes are a great way to get your family playing and learning together.
Make sure to check out our Learning page for all sorts of ways to encourage and experience hiking with children!
Have a wonderful week. Hope your days are filled with wonder!